Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Lemon Madeleines - Tuesdays with Dorie


This week, Tuesdays with Dorie group members baked Lemon Madeleines from the book Baking Chez Moi.

Since being gifted with a madeleine pan and the cute little book We Love Madeleines a few years ago, I've made quite a few of these shell-shaped sponge cakes in various flavours - including savoury - using different techniques. But none of them compared to these little beauties in both flavour and texture.
The batter was typical of a sponge cake with eggs and sugar first beaten until thick before dry ingredients and finally melted butter were folded in. After an overnight rest in the fridge, it was time to bake the madeleines. My pan is an unconventional size, making 16, so my yield never agrees with any recipe; this one was no exception, producing 21 instead of 12. I followed the instructions to chill the batter-filled pan before baking the first batch but skipped that step for the remaining cakes; there was no perceptible difference in the hump produced, which is what that step was to affect, but with the warmer pan, baking time was reduced by a minute. I made a half batch of the lemony icing, enough to glaze most of the madeleines, and added a light dusting of powdered sugar to the remaining few. 

I loved them! They were tender and delicate with crisp golden edges, and their flavour was just as lovely, redolent with lemon, with the glazed ones - my favourites - capturing both the depth of flavour and tartness of the fruit. These were a perfect afternoon treat and will definitely be made again.

19 comments:

  1. My lot of batter produced 15 cookies. Glad you enjoyed the little treats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zosia,
    I got 20 madeleines instead of 12 ! More to enjoy, nobody's complaining!
    These madeleines are yummy and I can see myself baking these little treats again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Savory madeleines...now that sounds like a plan! Very pretty photo with the mix of plain and powdered sugar ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you enjoyed these, too! Love that you had enough to glaze and dust with powdered sugar :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty! I love using glaze and powdered sugar, covering each side ..sounds good to me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Madeleines turned out fantastic looking! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your mug :-)
    Glaze and sugar sounds good to me also

    ReplyDelete
  8. my yield was also much higher-I baked a double batch and had nearly 3 dozen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These have been on my to-try list ever since I saw them is Dorie's book. Yours turned out fabulous! Good to know that the chilling step is not necessary.
    Btw, we missed you over on ABC. I hope you'll be able to join us again, soon or in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hanaa. So many wonderful baking groups, so little time ; )!

      Delete
  10. Weren't these great! My madeleine pan didn't match Dorie's either - I ended up with 12 madeleines and 12 hearts, after which I gave up and discreetly tipped the rest of the batter into the bin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfectly beautiful madeleines!! You got a lovely hump on yours! I loved this recipe and the wonderful lemon glaze!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made 16 in my 16 size pan. Some were definitely bigger than others, but they were still awesome. :P Your madeleines look great! They totally make me want to eat another one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your alternating madeleine plate presentation! They came out beautifully golden.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They do look perfect, and are so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your madeleines look perfect -- and I love how you displayed them in a checker pattern, alternating the icing sugar sprinkled ones with the plain ones.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm thinking it was definitely a type on the book about the yield of these little treats; or Dorie uses a much larger madeleine pan. Lovely presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's so interesting the varieties in chilled and warm pans, cooking times and the results that everyone got. Your madeleines look perfectly browned and delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.