Saturday, May 28, 2016

Rhubarb Clafoutis - Cookbook Countdown

I've been cooking from River Cottage Everyday by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall for Cookbook Countdown this month and for my final recipe made a wonderful dessert featuring a seasonal vegetable that's usually treated as a fruit: rhubarb. 
Clafoutis is a French tart of fruit baked in a sweet pancake-like batter traditionally made with cherries. There's a recipe for that version in the book but cherries aren't in season yet and I'm always looking for new ways to use rhubarb. It was paired with oranges in this, roasted with the juice of one and a pinch of cinnamon. Once it was cooled, drained and arranged in the baking dish, it was covered with a batter of milk, eggs, flour, orange zest and sugar and baked.
Too many recipes try to bury the rhubarb under mounds of sugar but its flavour was allowed to shine through in this one. Nestled in the sweet, custardy cake, it was tart and tangy with hints of orange and cinnamon. I served it with strawberries - another great pairing - and the reserved roasting liquid. The recipe for this delicious and easy dessert can be found here.

My introduction to this author was through vegetable cookery but with this book I've discovered that he has a way with breads, proteins and desserts as well. I've really enjoyed cooking from it and will revisit it often.
I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray

2 comments:

  1. Rhubarb in season and this looks sooo good. And I love me a clafoutis! Onto the list with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zosia,
    I have always wanted to try fresh rhubarb! Your clafoutis looks wonderful and yummy served with the strawberries. Thanks for sharing the delicious meals that you've cooked from this book!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.