Monday, June 5, 2017

Fiddlehead, Goat's Cheese and Pancetta Frittata - IHCC Fresh From The Field!

It's that time of year when fiddleheads are available so I had to feature them in a dish, of course. I don't have many recipes that call for the pretty unfurled fronds of the ostrich fern but they work in dishes that feature asparagus or leafy greens. My inspiration this time was Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Spinach, Bacon and Goat's Cheese Frittata from his book River Cottage Every Day.
I replaced the bacon with 75g pancetta, a little less than the recipe calls for, and precooked the fiddleheads (for food safety reasons) before adding them to the egg mixture but otherwise made no changes to the recipe. The method of partially cooking the frittata stove top, then finishing it under the broiler worked perfectly.
The shallots, Parmesan and pancetta worked well with the fiddleheads and the mild chèvre didn't overwhelm the delicate flavour of my star ingredient. I will definitely make this again. 

I'm linking this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs for this week's theme of Fresh From the Field.

3 comments:

  1. I have gotten fiddleheads at the farmers market several times this season and love their incredible texture and flavor. It's very creative the way you adapt this recipe to use fiddleheads. Marvelous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been ages I ate these fiddleheads! Your dish looks enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fiddleheads are so pretty and they definitely play the star of this dish! I've never seen them here in Kentucky but I always keep my eyes open.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.